TRADITIONAL CHICKEN CURRY
“I am tired mummy!”, “I wana eat some rice, chicken and yogurt, please….”. This is one regular dialogue of Ayona (Annie) as soon as she gets down from her school bus. And my regular dialogue is “sure darling!” She is just 4…. A naughty, bubbly and a very demanding girl with full of energy. A hardcore non-vegetarian too, who would always want fish or meat or even eggs on her plate. On the contrary Inakshi (Renee) a 10 year old, quiet, soft spoken, less demanding girl. I keep guessing her moods and desires by her action. Though she prefer chicken more than fish and loves cottage cheese (paneer), but I really cannot predict that she will eat every time I serve her favourite dishes. That’s how she is. Oh I have to juggle all the time satisfying and keeping them happy. Quite a task!
It does not require being a weekend or a holiday to make and serve something delicious. Being a mother I can very well understand the food moods of my girls, especially my little Ayona (Annie). Serving a healthy and balanced meal is of sole importance to me, but adjusting with their likes and demands is challenging sometimes, especially when there is a time constrain.
Picky eaters though, this particular dish is something which both relish and clean out their plates. It is kind of a relief for me as I am done just by making one dish which makes both happy. Love to see the smiles on their faces while eating and asking for extra servings, that otherwise rarely happens.
This is a very basic and simple chicken curry, very easy to prepare, with just the regular ingredients available in the pantry. A quick, hassle free and a win win dish any time.
Preparation time 10min Cook time 20min Total time 30min
- Chicken 1kilo
- Onions 2 medium finely chopped
- Ginger garlic paste 1 tea spoon
- Green chilies chopped or sliced 2(can be altered with your taste)
- Potatoes 2 medium cut into two halves
- Bay leaf 2
- Whole spices (cinnamon 1 stick, 2-3 cloves, 2-3 pod of cardamom)
- Cumin powder 1 teaspoon
- Coriander powder 1 teaspoon
- Kashmiri chilli powder 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder1/2 teaspoon
- Garam masala 1 teaspoon
- Salt according to taste
- Cooking oil 2-3 tablespoons
- 1/2 cup water
- Chopped coriander for garnish
- Heat oil in a deep bottom pan. Add the sugar, but don’t let it burn
- Fry the potatoes with little salt until golden and keep it aside.
- Add the whole spices then, add the onions, ginger- garlic paste and fry for a minute
- Add the spices, cumin, coriander and the chilli powder.
- Combine all well and cook it for few min on low to medium heat for few mins
- Now add in the chicken and fry well for about 5mins on low to medium heat, adding little water from time to time to avoid sticking to the pan.
- Once the oil starts separating, Add salt stir in well, cover with the lid and let it cook until the chicken is done.
- Add the Garam masala, give a final boil and garnish with chopped fresh coriander.
Relish this simplicious chicken curry with roti, bread or steam rice. Bon Appetite 😊