CRISPY BABY CORN IN HOT GARLIC SAUCE
I happen to call and ask my Maa once, “What is your fav food now?” she replied, I eat everything. She is a pure vegetarian person by choice and likes paneer (cottage cheese) to my knowledge. But more than that she loves all the traditional sweets like GOJA, LAVANGA, CREAM –MIHIDANA, ROSOGOLLA and KACHORI. I said, I know about all these, but not very sure about the main course dishes. Maa kept on saying I eat everything mamu( word used for darling). I became adument to know and told her that I am no more your little daughter , infact I am mother too now. I want to make something exclusively for you.
It had been a usual scenerio in our big family that Maa used too cook, serve us and others first, and later she used to eat her meals. So rarely noticed her relishing something . I stayed with my parents until high school, which was a very limited period to know about my parents likes and dislikes. Moreover I didn’t even know the A, B, C, and D of cooking. I learnt from her though every time I went for holidays.
She finally said,” I love any dish made with Baby Corn”. Aah! I was surprised to hear that, and I never realized that she loved baby corn so much. Crispy Baby Corn in Hot Garlic Sauce was made on the special ocassion of ” Mother’s Day”, dedicating my Maa. So Maa, this is exclusively for you with lots and lots of love poured in. Hope you love it…………..
- Baby corn 10-12
- Corn flour 3 tbsp.
- Plain flour 2 tbsp.
- Rice flour 2 tbsp.
- Garlic powder ½ tsp
- Black pepper powder ½ tsp
- Chili flakes 1tsp (approx. depending on your taste)
- Salt as per taste
- Vegetable oil 1 cup
- In a bowl mix all the above ingredients with little water to make a thick batter consistency
- Now dip the baby corns in the batter and fry it in hot oil until golden on all sides, but just 3-4 at a time. Then keep it aside
For the sauce
2 tbsp. chopped garlic
1 ½ tbsp. ginger
2 tsp chopped green chilies
1 tsp chopped cilantro for garnish
1 tbsp. toasted sesame seeds
2 Tbsp. sweet chilli sauce,
1 ½ tsp dark soya sauce
1 tbsp. hot sauce
1 tsp colour
- Pour 1 tbsp. vegetable oil in a pan or a wok
- Put in the ginger, garlic and green chilies and sauté for just about a min
- Combine all the sauces in a small bowl with just a little (2-3 tsp) water. Now add this sauce into the pan. Then add in the fried baby corn. Now sprinkle in the corn flour. Toss it well until it becomes a sticky texture.
- Season it with cracked pepper, cilantro and give a final toss. Garnish it with sesame seeds.