Simple things done in a simple way with few simple ingredients and just little tempering creates simply magic.
Beetroot chutney or dip makes a versatile accompaniment with flat breads, Dosas, and even a fantastic spread for sandwich and wraps.
It is also a wonderful option to add on to your kids meal in form of spreads or simply as chutney. Believe me, kids gulp their wraps and sandwiches happily without even knowing its beetroot. I simply call it, ” WONDER SPREAD”
- 2 medium beetroot grated
- 1 inch ginger
- 2-3 pods of garlic
- 1-2 green chilies
- 1 tbsp roasted Chana dal( roasted chick pea lentil)
- 4-5 curry leaves
- 1 tsp tamarind paste
- Salt as per taste
- 1 tbsp oil for cooking
- 1 tbsp oil for tempering
- 1/2 tsp mustard seed ( for tempering)
- 1/2 tsp urad dal (optional for tempering)
- 1-2 dry red chili( for tempering)
1) Heat oil in a pan, add the ginger, garlic and finally the beetroot
2) Fry for a couple of minutes, cover and let it cook until done.
3) Season with salt and transfer into a blender. Add the tamarind paste and Blend it into a smooth paste.
4) Now heat oil in a small pan, add red chili, urad dal, mustard seeds. Pour it into the beetroot chutney.
Ready to serve with your desired accompaniment. I like having with fresh baked bread as a dip