Don’t you think this can be a wonderful dessert for your date-night. A hassle free simple dessert with a gorgeous look to make your dinner date at home so special. Moreover, it’s always better to spend time for yourself and for the special person rather than slogging in the kitchen for long hours.
“It’s a feeling of love and satisfaction to get together and eat something good”. This is what i do occasionally. So what if he is my husband! When our lives are so busy with work, family and kids, it really becomes difficult to spend some relaxed time with your husband. Spending quality time at home with your loved one over some good food makes any ordinary evening a really special one. Last weekend, when kids were off for a play date to their friend’s place, I planned for a nice and simple evening at home instead of going out and prepared a simple meal of a lamb soup, Tunisian tagine with some lettuce and feta salad and poached figs in spiced wine as dessert.
- 4 large fresh figs
- 1 1/2 cup semi-sweet rose wine
- 1/2 cup red wine ( any of your choice)
- Some lemon or orange rind
- 1/4 cup date jaggery( I used date jaggery instead of sugar which also gave me that dark brown color or dark brown sugar)
- Whole spices( 2 small cinnamon stick, 3 cloves, 1 bay leaf )
- Quarter tsp pepper powder
- A pinch of salt
- Clean the figs and put in a deep bottom vessel or saucepan with the wine, sugar or jaggery, spices, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Now reduce the heat a little and let it boil for 5-10 mins.
- Turn the heat low, keep turning the figs every now and then, and cook until the wine is reduced by half and the liquid is slightly thickened. It should take at least 20 minutes. Turn off the heat and allow it to cool and settle down completely before serving.
- Serve the figs with a scoop of ice cream, or some fresh cream or some mascarpone cream