I was not a big fan of lamb soups until I had this in one of the restaurants here. On the contrary i enjoyed cooking lamb dishes a lot may be because of the colour and texture it gives once cooked.
The cumin, tomatoes and parsley gives the soup the perfect body and a balance taste without overpowering the lamb taste. Slow cooked in parsley,tomato and mildly spiced broth for a good 45 mins to an hour results in the tender meat sunk into this delicious soup.
Preparation time: 15 min Cook time: 45-1 hr Total time: 1 hr 20 min
- 250gm lamb/ mutton cut into small pieces
- 1/2 large chopped onion
- 2 large pods of chopped garlic
- Half bunch chopped parsley
- 1 cup blanched and chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- Pinch of turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp red chili paste
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
A step by step method of the preparation of the soup
- Heat oil in a sauce pan and sauté the onion and garlic over medium heat. Now add the lamb and fry for a 4-5 mins.
- Add the tomatoes, half of the parsley and the spices and cook for a couple of mins until all well combined.
- Add 1 1/2 cup water and salt, cover with a lid and let it cook on low heat for 45 mins. Add required water when needed.
- Now add the remaining parsley , little more cumin powder and let it cook until the meat is quite tender.
- Garnish with cracked fresh black pepper and few parsley leaves.
Serve hot with any nice French or Arabic bread.
- Use of spices can be adjusted with your taste pallets
- Cooking at a low heat throughout helps retain the moisture and results in juicy and tender meat
- Adding bourghul wheat gives an extra texture to it.
Feel free to message me and share your comments on how did you liked it. Do visit again.
Much love 💖