Take regular Dosa to a whole new level. Breakfast to me is the most important meal of the day and I don’t mind taking efforts to prepare one. I even don’t mind waking up half an hour early to have a good satisfied breakfast.
Here’s a healthier take on a classic dosa. I don’t say traditional dosa is unhealthy, but for those who are gluten intolerant this recipe serves well. Frankly speaking, experiment like this has been truly a gift for my family. I always look for ways to increase the nutritional value of my food and wanted my girls to somehow eat and like quinoa. I tried many other ways but this ended up to be the most loved quinoa recipe.
Quinoa is considered to be a super food because of its high protein content, high in iron and magnesium, added to this they are rich omega-3. This super grain dosa works fantastic for a post workout meal. since it is gluten free this seed has become increasingly popular among the vegans for its rich source of protein.
Yellow or green lentil mixed with quinoa results in increased nutritional value compared to the regular Dosa.
- 1 1/2 cup Quinoa
- 1/2 cup skinless whole or split Urad or Yellow split lentil( urad dal or yellow/green moong dal)
- 1 tbsp Fenugreek seeds( methi seeds)
- Virgin coconut oil or any other cooking oil
- Salt as per taste
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh fenugreek leaves.
- Soak the quinoa, lentil and fenugreek seeds together for 6 hours or minimum of 4 hours.
- Grind into a smooth batter of flowing consistency. Transfer into a large bowl, mix salt and let it ferment for overnight or 6 hours at least. You will notice the batter has risen due to fermentation.
- Heat a Dosa pan or a flat griddle and spread a big ladle full batter evenly in a circular motion. Now spread some chopped onions and chopped methi. Drizzle a tea-spoon of oil to make the crepe crisper. This is optional.
- Once the Dosa/crepe becomes golden brown on both sides and becomes crispy, for this shouldn’t take more than two minutes on each side. Now your super crispy quinoa dosa is ready to serve.
You can serve with any desired chutney or sambar or can have just like that.