As far back as I can remember, eating or making any dessert with pumpkin is nowhere in my growing up memories, until I had them in an English bakery during my first visit to London.
Oh! I can’t forget the delicious flavor, of the cream cheese roll made out of a pumpkin, and realized that I’ve been missing out on pumpkin cake rolls with rich and creamy cheese fillings my entire life!
Even though I never tried making one, and managed with the store bought ones in those crinkly aluminum tins topped with a dollop of the partially frozen cool whip. Not exactly the tastiest version!. Off late, when I discovered that what a stress buster baking is, I just fell in love with baking and treating my friends. Every other day I used to try out something new during my afternoon tea time with friends.
Most of the time I try make our meals healthy and yummy. But, with the season of pumpkin and Christmas ahead how can one not make one.This recipe immediately brings back fond memories of my London visit. Moist and flavorful with the warm spices of the autumn, creamy, nutty with the bite you have. Incredibly easy and irresistible. You just can’t have one!
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar to sprinkle
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin spice
- spice1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup pure pumpkin puree (Essentials)
For the Cream Cheese filling
- 225 gm Philadelphia cream cheese package cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 6 tablespoons softened butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a 15 x 10-inch jelly-roll pan with parchment paper and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Sprinkle a clean tea towel with powdered sugar. Set pan and towel aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice, and salt.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat eggs, vanilla, and sugar until thick.
- Add in pumpkin and mix to combine.
- Stir in flour mixture.
- Spread batter evenly into prepared pan.
- Bake for 13 to 15 minutes or until the top of cake springs back when touched.
- Immediately loosen and turn cake onto prepared towel.
- Carefully peel off the paper. Roll up cake and towel together, starting with narrow end. Cool on wire rack.
- In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese, powdered sugar, butter and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Once the cake has completely cooled, gently unroll it and remove towel.
- Spread cream cheese mixture over cake, sprinkle the chopped walnuts all over the spread, then roll cake all over again.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least one hour.
Unwrap the pumpkin roll and sprinkle with some powdered sugar upon it, slice and serve with your favorite cuppa tea, coffee or hot chocolate.