Simple pleasures are really hard to explain. For me, even a cup of kadak chai sipping by the roadside, walking a long way without any fixed destination, or even a typical Assamese simple meal of dal, rice mashed potato and a piece of fish fry, would give me immense pleasure.
Such pleasures derived from the little things of our daily lives are very important since they help you keep happy and motivated towards life, that results in overall wellbeing.
Health is Wealth is a saying which every one of us has been hearing and learning since childhood. I remember even making projects and presentations during my primary school days. Thankfully I am practicing what I learned and holds a lot of value in my present time.
Serving Mash potato with a meal is a very typical practice in Assam and we all enjoy having it even with an elaborate meal. Too much potato!! carbs!! each meal, no!!!!!!!
Keeping the health factor in mind, here I tried to give a healthy twist to the plain old potato mash and substituted regular potato to sweet potato. I try to keep my dinner simple and as healthy as possible, but I am also very finicky about my food as far as taste is concerned.
A quick twist to a boring mash can actually elevate your taste buds. Adding ingredients like fresh herbs, hint of chili and some mustard sauce actually transformed a regular mash into a gourmet one.
Serves 4 Prep time 5 mins Cook time 15 mins
- 1 large sweet potato or 2 medium cleaned with skin
- 1 medium finely chopped or sliced onion
- 2 green chilies finely chopped
- 1 tsp finely chopped ginger
- 1/2 tsp finely chopped garlic
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander leaves finely chopped
- 1 tbsp mild mustard sauce(KASUNDI)
- 1-2 Tsp virgin mustard oil
- Turn on the oven to maximum and pop in the sweet potato wrapped in an aluminum foil. Let it cook until done( take the potato out and check in between by pricking it with a fork)
- Once done take it out and peel the skin and keep it in a large bowl.
- Mash the sweet potato with salt and pepper. Now add rest of the ingredients and mix it well.