Your hunt for Tandoori chicken is over! You need not have to go anywhere out to have tandoori chicken. This is the most indulgent, lip-smacking and delicious restaurant style Tandoori chicken preparation that you can make at home. Eventually it has become my family’s favorite.
I always associate TANDOORI chicken to Bangalore, my college days. It was and may be still the hot favorite dish in our group. Memories of taking bike rides of 30 to 40km to some dhaba or resort to have tandoori chicken.
Endless culinary experimentation used be carried out back then to make restaurant style tandoori chicken…..lol! Memories are still fresh and I really miss being with my gang of awesome friends and those golden college days.
Coming back to the recipe, this quite easy, the only trick to follow is the marinating process properly. The perfect cut and double marination is the key to this awesome tandoori chicken. So quickly lets jump to the recipe.
- 1 whole chicken (800gm once dressed)
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 1 tsp kashmiri chili powder
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Salt to taste
For Marination 2
- 1 cup hung yogurt( I have used greek yogurt)
- 1 1/2 tsp ginger paste
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic paste
- 2 tsp Kashmir chili powder( you can adjust according to you taste) or 1 1/2 tbsp chili oil. ** see notes how to make chili oil.
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- 2 tbsp mustard oil ( mustard paste can also be used if you do not get mustard oil)
- 1 tsp kasuri methi leaves( dried fenugreek leaves)
- 1 tsp black salt or chat masala powder
- Salt to taste
For the garnish
- 2 onions sliced into rings
- Few lime wedges
- 1 tbsp butter and oil mixture to brush it while chicken is cooking and for garnish
***NOTE : Remember that salt has been used twice, so be careful in using the amount of salt.
How to make chili oil?
Take 1 tbsp kashmiri chili powder or deghi mirch( chili powder). Add 2 tbsp mustard oil and combine throughly. This will give you an authentic chili oil which is a great substitute for artificial food colors.
- Wash the chicken and pat it dry with a kitchen towel. Cut the chicken pieces depending on the size you need 6,8 or 10.
- Now make 3 cut on the breast, 4 cut cuts if you are taking the whole breast piece. 3 cuts on the leg pieces, one among which has to be at joints, the tendons has to be cut to ensure evenly cooking of the chicken legs without drying out. 3 cuts if you are taking whole shoulder and thigh part.
- Now mix all the ingredients of the first marination and rub it throughly all over the chicken pieces and leave it aside for 15- 20 minutes.
- Prepare the second marination by mixing all the ingredients in a bowl to a nice thick paste. Coat the chicken very well with this marination.
- Prepare your baking tray lined with aluminium foil and place some roughly cubed pieces of veggies( carrots, celery, potatoes). Arrange the chicken pieces on the bed of veggies and put into the preheated oven at the max for first 5 minutes, then drop down the temperature to 180 degrees and let it cook for 30 minutes. Turn then occasionally and pay little bit of butter and oil mixture. Very important here is to take the breast pieces out early say about 20 minutes as they gets cooked quickly. Once done take them and give a final brush of butter oil mixture and sprinkle some chat masala.
- Garnish with onion rings and lime wedges.
The perfect tandoori chicken is ready to serve.