All the strife in the world is of the mind. Breaking the mental barriers and give peace a chance, and what’s better time than this holy month of Ramadan.
Food knows no boundaries. Let’s break the shackles, let’s bring all those warring hearts to the dining table.
We are what we eat; whoever said, very well said. So, let’s savour this yummy palestinian dish and be yummy at heart, let’s share some joy and happiness.
Chichen Musakhan, a Palestinian appetizer, crisp rolls with sweet and tangy onions and chicken filling is a fabulous option for make ahead party appetizer.
These looks similar to spring rolls but the sweet and tangy chicken filling make the whole difference in this recipe.
The tangy taste comes from the sumac powder and sweetnessfrim the caramelized onions. Pine nuts is another core ingredient that gives a nice nutty texture. Here I have used a mix of coarsely chopped pine nuts and pistachios.
- 600 gm chicken boneless breast ( you can use any part of the chicken)
- 2 large onions sliced
- 2 1/2 tbsp sumac powder
- Fresh cracked Pepper and salt to taste
- 2 tsp Arabic spice powder
- Fillo sheets
- Half cup mix of chopped pine nuts and pistachios.
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 3 tbsp oil
- Rub some salt and pepper all over the chicken and keep it aside for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven at 250 degrees.
- Heat oil in a deep pan or a skillet and sear the Chicken breast over medium to high heat for 3 minutes on each side, when it is done transfer into a plate. Once it cools down shred the chicken and keep it aside.
- In the same pan add some more oil and fry the onions until caramelized. Now add the sumac powder, season with salt and pepper. Mix it, add the shredded chicken, chopped nuts and Arabic spice powder. Add more salt and pepper of needed. Stir it for another 2 minutes until all well combined. Transfer to a plate and let it cool.
- Mix 2 tbsp all purpose flour with just enough water to make a thick paste. Take 2 filo pastry sheets on a flat surface, now put some( 1tbsp) of the chicken filling. Now wrap it folding the sides to give the shape of spring rolls and sealing the edges with the flour paste. Once you are done making all the rolls, transfer on to a baking tray and brush them with some oil.
- If you are making a big batch, at this stage you can store them in an airtight container and freeze them for later use. But, if you want to make it right away, refrigerate the rolls for 10 -15 mins and then arrange them in a baking tray lined with butter paper or just brush some oil on the baking tray. Put into the oven for 10 -15 minutes or until nice slightly golden in colour.
Enjoy hot with some yogurt and dill dip or any chutney of your choice.